This is a fantastic game for small-town gothic fantasy. I love the Connections that tie you to other people, and the way the simple system is written keeps it out of the way of the roleplay, which is especially great in larger games like LARPs.
The Gloaming Diaries
A downloadable game
The Gloaming Diaries is an analog role-playing game of modern fairy tales in small towns by Kyle Weems. As a player, you take on the role of the gloamspun, half-human, half-fae beings created when a fairy fleeing eternal war encounters a human seeking change within the Wood. Needing one another, they weave their souls together, becoming one. Among your fellow gloamspun what unfolds next is a new story. For you have two pasts, but only one future.
What Brought You To The Wood?
Play as one of 10 Paths, each of which describes the human you were and the path that led you to that fateful twilight meeting, and one of 10 Tales, each of which describes the fae you were and the story your magical life told. Were you an Elder entering the woods to die who instead found a new life with a Tale of Mischief? Were you a Lover who slipped into the woods for a tryst and found yourself drawn to join souls with a Tale of Sorrow?
Small Town Fairies
Use the supernatural blessings of your Tale and the elemental magic of the fae to solve your town's problems without alerting your neighbors. Design the two Retinues of your fairy ilk with your fellow players and decide upon the nature of your Beloved Monarchs who forever love and feud with one another. Keep your shroud tightly bound around your soul to hide your fae nature, yet learn to deceive your neighbors while never speaking lies.
What stories will you tell in your small town at the edge of the woods? For although everyone's a little strange in remote parts, few are as strange as you.
To play the Gloaming Diaries You will need either a twenty-sided die (d20) or a deck of Tarot cards.
- A brief overview of the setting of the Gloaming Diaries.
- Ten human Paths that led you to the woods, from conspiracy-minded Seekers to bully-escaping Persecuted.
- Ten fae Tales that embody the different stories that fae lives tell, from horrifying Terrors to capricious Loves.
- Create your game's two fae retinues and the principles that guide them.
- Four elemental paths of fae magic, or create your own sorcery.
- A quick combat system geared for ease of use in either tabletops or LARP, with several fighting styles for customization.
- Printable character sheets.
- And more!
In order to download this game you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $15 USD. You will get access to the following files:
- Gloaming Diaries Book Update (#10: Memories of Mommur)28 days ago
- Gloaming Diaries UpdateOct 23, 2020
- New Update: Some Path and Tale Tweaks, Combat RebalancingMar 06, 2020
- Gloaming Diaries Book Update (v1.0.0-rc6)Sep 13, 2019
- Character Sheet UpdatesJul 31, 2019
- Gloaming Diaries Book Update (v1.0.0-rc5)Jun 26, 2019
- Character sheets now editableJun 21, 2019
- Gloaming Diaries Book UpdateJun 12, 2019
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
The Gloaming Diaries is a game that has a beautiful setting, and amazing flexibility for character development. The rules are clear and precise, but easy to read and learn. The character creation is also very easy, and mostly limited only to the imagination of the player. Overall, it leads to a really fun game that is easy to learn, even for someone who might be new to LARP.
The setting of this game is intricate and beautifully written. There are elaborate rules to create the Gloamspuns, your half-fae, half-human characters. I also like how tarot cards are used in the resolution mechanics.